Tomorrow He's 64



Yes, we still need him--Sir Paul McCartney. I can remember thinking when I first heard the song 39 years ago: "I wonder what he will be like when he really does turn 64? I wonder if I will be alive when it happens. " From Dave Winer's blog today, I learn that tomorrow's the big day. The NY Times has a graceful piece explaining the implications. Unlike my sister, I never picked Paul as my favorite Beatle. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I had one--maybe John, for his edgy wit; Paul was too cute and too sweet, Ringo was too dumb, and George was a spiritual poseur. But now Paul reigns. I heard him at a Denver concert a few years ago, and his sweetness, tested by time and many tragedies, won me over. I bet he'll have one huge birthday bash, and that "When I'm 64" will be played tomorrow more times throughout the world than it ever was in 1967. Big smile.

Saturday, June 17, 2006


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?