Praying with My Parents at Harvard



My father and mother leave The Memorial Church at Harvard after Morning Prayers in Appleton Chapel. Dad is holding the M-Audio MicroTrack, so I can take the photo. They have been attending Prayers at Harvard for nearly four decades, all the way back to when I was an undergraduate. On the way out, we were greeted by Peter J. Gomes, Harvard's preacher whose official title is Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Pusey Minister in The Memorial Church. He was stunned to learn of the imminent arrival of the next generation of our family and offered best wishes. Walking out through the main church, my parents shared their enthusiasm for Harry Huff, assistant organist and choirmaster.

Morning Prayers is a central spoke on the wheel of my parents' good life in Cambridge. As I played the MP3 file of this podcast today in their kitchen on tiny travel speakers, I saw my Dad's eyes fill with emotion during the choir's singing of "Deep River." It was a moment of enjoying the impact that a simple audio file can have on another man's soul.

Sunday, February 12, 2006


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?